SUMMARY: Responsible for gaining a working knowledge of and performing fire protection inspections and 24 hour service under direct supervision of an Inspection/Service Technician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- A developing knowledge of life safety and NFPA codes and standards.
- Developing knowledge of fire sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems and their devices, appurtenances, critical components and operations.
- Able to perform testing and maintenance under direct supervision of an Inspection/Service Technician.
- Required to complete on the job training documentation each week.
- Able to differentiate between inspection deficiencies and service required to correct found deficiencies.
- Required to attend Inspector training session at FLSA to stay abreast of changing technology, installation and testing and reporting approaches. Classes are scheduled per region, per quarter for a two year period.
- Required to begin NICET exam cycle application within the 3rd evolution of training, NICET exam preparation within the 4th evolution of training, and begin to test for NICET during session 5 or approximately within 1 year of hire date or enrollment into Inspector training classes.
- Candidates shall be required to pass NICET Level II certification in Inspection Testing & Maintenance of Water Based Fire Protection Systems prior to achieving “Inspector” status.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma, BA, BS, or engineering degree or technical or related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Equivalent experience within the mechanical field and/or inspections of related trades.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee will be required to use ladders and man lift equipment to inspect devices within crawl spaces, confined spaces and at elevations.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Strong working knowledge of personal computers.
Ability to read and write clearly. Ability to present information and respond to questions from managers, customers, AHJs (Authorities Having Jurisdiction) and the general public. This employee shall be required to have a complete command of the English language and good computer skills.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to the Service Operations Manager or Service Manager.
Fire & Life Safety America (FLSA) is a premier life safety contractor with offices along the east coast and in Texas. FLSA encourages initiative, independence, diversity and personal career growth with sensitivity towards quality of life issues. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including competitive salary, medical and dental coverage, vacation, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance; flexible spending plan, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan.
FLSA participates in EVerify & promotes a drug-free workplace. FLSA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.