Sun City, FL is where it all began; it is the home of Speedling's Corporate Office, our original nursery and our EPS Manufacturing Facility. Located 25 miles south of Tampa on the West Coast of Florida, the Sun City Nursery boasts over 800,000 square feet of greenhouse space. It is our most diverse location with a variety of greenhouse types, giving us the variability to find the best greenhouse to grow vegetable and ornamental crops.
The successful Seedhouse Area Supervisor is to coordinate the daily operations of crew members and their leaders on various seeding machines and transplant machines within the Seedhouse. Key responsibilities include ensuring all work is performed in accordance with safety policies and regulations to promote a safe working environment. Precision, accuracy, and efficiency are essential qualities of the Seedhouse Area Supervisor.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Coordinate the daily operation of crew members on the TTA Transplanter. This includes, but is not limited to overseeing correct transplant of Work Order's from the transplant report, correct pots, trays, and tags per the Work Order, quality product with limited need for fixing in the greenhouse. In order to teach this to the crews, the seedhouse supervisor must become an expert in the area of transplant quality and how to set up and run the TTA transplanter.
• Coordinate daily operations of crew members on all Seedlines. This includes, but is not limited to, quality control in tray sorting, fill, seeding, covering, and watering; overseeing correct seeding of WO's, tray quantities, seeding paperwork, and all details included in the seeding process.
• Seedhouse supervisor needs to be an expert at the setup and running of each machine in order to train new operators.
• Delegate (train, teach, coach) responsibilities to crew members. Maintain crew discipline, resolve conflicts, and maintain crew morale.
• Assign, review and evaluate work of crew members and recommend retention, discipline or termination.
• Coordinate with Office Manager to verify weekly time clock schedules are correct for each seed house employee.
• Enforce safety practices and use of PPE at work areas.
• Act as a role model, working alongside crew members, and demonstrate a positive work ethic.
• Ensure seeding, transplant, and seed house projects are completed satisfactorily and efficiencies are captured for Tier 1 and 4 SQDIP meetings.
• Develop and maintain a strong sense of teamwork among the crew members.
• Maintain records of seeding accuracy and units per man hour (upmh), and complete reports accurately and timely. Know what to do when accuracy or efficiency starts to go below-set standards.
• Maintain, review and certify Labor tracking form for crew members.
• Work under the direct supervision of the Grower Manager, and review progress needs and continuous improvement goals with the crew.
• Respond decisively to the inquiries of Production Crews, Growers, and Managers.
• Operate and perform minor maintenance on all seed house equipment.
• Seed house should be maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
• Ensure work projects are completed satisfactorily and safe working conditions are maintained at all times.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Bilingual: English/Spanish.
• Experience with precision manufacturing equipment.
• Ability to multitask and lead up to 4 different teams doing a different task at the same time.
• Basic math and computer skills.
• Able to work up to 7 days per week during peak season.
• Valid Driver License, clean criminal history and drug-free
• Must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
• Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for crew members.
• Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
• Good interpersonal communication, able to work well with others
• Manufacturing aptitude Must be able to work as part of a team
• Willingness to work weekends, hours will change based on business needs
• Ability to tolerate exposure to greenhouse elements such as heat, cold, water and dirt.
• Able to lift up to 40 lbs and able to stand for prolonged periods of time
• Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision, Self-motivated
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.