The equipment operator operates a variety of equipment used in the excavation, construction, maintenance and repair of roads, highways, parking lots and other large site jobs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates heavy equipment of various sizes and weights used in road, site or highway construction and excavation.
- Must read civil construction plans and grade stakes.
- Follows daily procedures and protocols as set forth in job orientations and trainings.
- Assist with preparing roads for surfacing; dig holes and trenches.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of traffic control devices. Controls traffic at worksites by flagging to guide traffic through work areas, as required or assigned.
- Assists in training lower-level employees performing the maintenance and repair duties as required or assigned.
- Perform any other tasks assigned to support and improve the overall team operations.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and provide required reports. Any defects or needed repairs should be reported to the shop foreman; cleans equipment.
- Maintain and protect all property in excellent condition.
- Properly follows all state and federal agencies safety procedures.
- Promotes and complies with all company safety policies and procedures; brings problems to the attention of the foreman, project manager, safety director or HR manager.
- Maintain required certifications required by all state and federal agencies and company safety programs.
- Daily reporting of time, progress and materials used thru electronic reporting, as assigned.
- Maintain professional attitude with owners, inspectors, public and company personal.
- Job Knowledge
- Problem Resolution
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
This position has no supervision responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Five (5) years' experience in operating heavy equipment, two of which must have been related to heavy construction or highway construction.
- Sufficient education to make appropriate arithmetic equations and complete written documentation, or an equivalent combination of experience, education and training that provides the desired knowledge, skills and characteristics.
- Ability to work from construction specifications and blueprints.
- Valid driver's license.
- High School diploma or GED
- Preferred Education and Experience
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid state driver's license with CDL endorsement with no active violations within the previous three years.
- Clean driving record.
- Knowledge of the construction industry.
Ricklefs Excavating Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran or other protected group status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.