Nestled in a lush mountain valley of Georgia, our Blairsville facility is as picturesque as the plants grown there. The modern growing facility aids in maximizing efficient production of quality vegetable and ornamental plugs. The facility is a grower's dream, 10 computer-controlled zones able to manipulate the greenhouses' environments through an Argus controller. The rolling tables allow us to easily move the crops from one growing area to another and finally to shipping.
The successful Lead Grower is responsible to efficiently and effectively produce quality plants through proper cultural practices. Key responsibilities include ensuring all work is performed in accordance with safety policies and regulations to promote a safe working environment; that growing activities are performed as planned; preparing all material and labor needs; communication with the production manager and operations teams regarding any change to the plan; that all activities are performed following written work instructions, reporting the time for the crew in preparation of work schedules and expediting workflow and account for hours expended by crew members to minimize labor cost.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain proper fertilization, growth retardant, and pesticide applications to ensure quality production on a scheduled timeline and maintain proper data for analysis.
- Manage cultural environments for each variety and report any problems.
- Generate accurate crop surveys and crop forecasts.
- Design spray programs and oversee such programs are carried out effectively while maintaining proper records for spraying and fertilizing.
- Train and supervise all growers/irrigators / pesticide applicators.
- Assist with crop harvesting and quality control.
- Maintain a clean and organized working environment.
- Propose creative solutions to problems that may arise.
- Assign, review, and evaluate work and recommend retention, discipline, or termination.
- Act as a role model, working alongside crew members, and demonstrate a positive work ethic.
- Enforce safety regulations in the work areas.
- B.S. or M.S. in Agronomy, Plant Science or Horticulture preferred
- At least 3 years seed propagation experience, crop management, large-scale agriculture
- Mechanical knowledge and agricultural tools expertise
- Calibrate irrigation, fertilization, and any spray equipment
- Ability to prepare daily written reports
- Ability to manage assets - equipment, labor
- Ability to budget, program, manage and schedule
- Results-oriented leader
- Clean criminal history and drug-free
- Candidates must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for crew members
- Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Bilingual English / Spanish is highly preferred.
- Motivate, develop, and direct crew members, identifying the best people for the job.
- Basic concepts about greenhouse operations, quality and productivity
- Good interpersonal communication, able to work well with others
- Manufacturing aptitude; Must be able to work as part of a team
- Willingness to work nights and/or weekends, hours will change based on business needs
- Able to work indoors, outdoors, in warehouse or greenhouse all seasons
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs and able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision, self-motivated, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to tolerate exposure to greenhouse elements such as heat, cold, water, and dirt.