General Scope: Can perform Welder/Fitter activities at a superior level; has the experience to do so with minimum of instruction; has knowledge of material and job to spot potential errors or difficulties and can fix or report as needed.
• Selects equipment and plans layout, assembly, and welding.
• Lays out, positions, aligns, and fits components together.
• Bolts, clamps, and tack-welds parts to secure in position for welding.
• Sets up equipment and welds parts, using arc, gas-shielded arc, submerged arc, or gas welding equipment.
• Assembles parts by welding, bolting or riveting.
• Repairs products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts.
• Must be able to operate material handling equipment associated with the job.
Some supervisory responsibilities.
Education: Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or Three (3) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge: Incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
Knowledge of Welding and Fitting.
Skills: Incumbent must demonstrate or participate in internal/external training programs to obtain the following skills:
• Must be able to read Blueprints for layout and assembling.
• Must be certified to weld according to company standards.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees of organization.
• Must be able to instruct or train subordinate workers.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Knowledge of ASW-D1.1