HBI is currently seeking a Carpentry Instructor.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Career Development Coordinator (RCDC), and the general supervision of the Regional Program Manager, instructs program participants in Pre- Apprenticeship Certificate Training (PACT). Trains program participants in building trades. Provides assessment of potential participants, and assessment of active participants' progress. Accountable for participant's ability to perform satisfactorily when placed on the job at the completion of training. Handles confidential information.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Develops training program, lesson plans, participant/applicant records, training site materials, etc. to become familiar with training sequence, participant skill levels and field site training requirements.
- Instructs participants using HBI Pre-Apprenticeship Certificate Training (PACT) curriculum. Develops supporting materials as needed for use with HBI curriculum, emphasizing proper use of tools and hardware, equipment care, safety, and standard building practices.
- Coordinates on-site training activities with other trades and with other organizations.
- Maintains trainee Skill Achievement Records weekly and participant profiles, in order to provide workplace competency development reporting to both trainee and potential employers.
- Consults with RCDC and RPC on trainee social service needs, as needed.
- Provides clear, workplace-focused supervision at all times to trainees. Monitors trainees to determine level of achievement, coaches trainees in developing their skills and competencies. Coaches trainees in workplace success, job retention and upward mobility.
- Instills in trainees the desire to work well in the home building industry and maintain a healthy attitude toward the tasks to be performed. Stimulates interest in learning by using effective training methods and assisting each student with his/her learning.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude towards work, including a positive disposition, mature conflict resolution approaches, proper workplace dress and behaviors, and acceptable verbal communication styles.
- Works with the RCDC in recruiting and selecting potential participants.
- Maintains liaisons in the home building industry to develop job opportunities for trainees.
- Refers trainees to RPC for appropriate job placement activities, based on trainee age and skills.
- Maintains safe, clean and orderly shop and work site.
- Maintains daily tool and equipment inventories for periodic reporting. Oversees maintenance/replacement of tools and equipment as necessary.
- Submits and uploads accurate and timely reports, attendance, tests, and student paperwork in accordance with grant, contract and HBI requirements.
- Maintains a detailed schedule of trainee-client activities for each day of the week.
- Prepares lesson plans for daily activity well in advance.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Internal: Communicates with the, Regional Career Development Coordinator, Regional Placement Coordinator and Regional Program Manager
External: Communicates with staff of funding and partner agencies other providers, probation officers, prospective and/or current employers of program graduates, case management agencies and organizations providing "live work" opportunities.
High School Diploma/equivalent.
- Five years of documented experience in the required trade area required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of industry and human service groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and communicate effectively with students.
- Current valid state driver's license.
- Active CPR and First Aid Certification preferred.
- Experience using computers and MS Office software.
- Depending on program or funder requirements, may need to complete Protective Action Response training, an extensive criminal background screening, and/or a workplace productivity assessment.
Usual office-type and/or working conditions in a hands-on classroom or training site setting. Some disagreeable weather conditions may exist due to the geographic location of the position. Routine physical conditions include walking, carrying, standing, hearing/listening and sitting.
HBI offers a competitive salary and benefits program.
HBI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state, or local law.