Middle River Aerostructure Systems is a world-leading manufacturer of thrust reverses (the braking system on a jet engine), engine nacelle components and specialized aerostructures. It supplies and supports these products for engine makers, airplane manufacturers and aircraft operators. Located on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay near Baltimore, MRAS has a 1.7-million sq. ft. facility situated on 180 acres – where the company and its predecessors have designed, built and equipped civil and military aircraft for nearly 90 years. In 2019, MRAS was acquired by VT Systems, the U.S. affiliate of Singapore-based ST Engineering – becoming a part of its global network of aerospace facilities and offices. With the ownership change, the company was renamed Middle River Aerostructure Systems.
To fabricate and repair complex composite and metal bonded assemblies. Includes the teardown of assemblies post cure and the cleaning of bond tools. Bonded assemblies are complex due to the quantity of interrelated components requiring precision alignment in fixtures not completely equipped with stops, locators, etc., and/or close tolerances critical to accurate assembly. To perform this function in accordance with the following duties.
• Uses works from engineering and tool design drawings, specifications, sketches and/or verbal information to fabricate and repair composite and metal bonded assemblies
• Studies information, tools and details to plan fabrication of assignment
• Prepares materials, molds, patterns, adhesives, etc., for molding and bonding processes
• Makes and uses templates to cut materials to desired shape
• Lays-out resin impregnated sheets against molds where complex contours and angles are usually encountered in inaccessible areas, requiring manipulative skill to fit and smooth laminates to eliminate wrinkles and remove air pockets
• Works laminate layers to desired smoothness to eliminate voids, delamination, crazing, blistering and wrinkles
• Locates all parts and assemblies which involves precision alignment and location of components to close tolerances and fitting and adjusting assemblies and components in and out of fixtures to meet specifications
• Determines location, position, accuracy of fit, conformity to contour, etc., of bonded assemblies by comparison with drawings and sketches
• Fabricates initial bonded assemblies, proving tools and component parts used in their fabrication, ascertains location, fit, clearance, etc., of components and usability and practicability of tools
• Determines method and sequence of work operations for use in assembling subsequent units
• Removes parts post-cure from associated molds and tools
• Cleans molds and / or tools as part of teardown process
• Repairs any damage to composite and metal bonded assemblies where the repair requires the utilization of uncured or prefabricated repair details on areas requiring intricate precision layouts
• Grinds, shaves, countersinks and inserts as specified in MPP's
• Adheres to company safety procedures and regulations
• Operation of cranes, fork trucks, people lifts, upenders, lift tables, and rotating devices is required
• Duties involve working at heights, working around cured and pre-cured graphite, and use of lasers, hand and power tools
• Participates and actively engages in Collaborative Work Group to meet business goals
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• HS diploma / GED equivalent
• Broad shop trade knowledge of bonding procedures
• Ability to read and interpret complex assembly drawings, lofts, and specifications, use shop mathematics and work with all types of precision measuring instruments
MRAS is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.